You may remember from a previous post that I had some issues with my wrist back in February. Well that brace didn't work and it only got worse. Long story short I went to multiple doctors, each one referring me to someone else, given medication, another brace, MRI's and x-rays but never a diagnosis.
My wrist got worse and then I began having pains in the other wrist, right knee, and left elbow and shoulder. I knew something was wrong but the doctors couldn't find anything on my x-rays or MRI. I was then referred to a rheumatologist. It took about 2 months to get an appointment. I was miserable for those 2 months and couldn't wait to get in. I think I called every week asking if they had any cancellations.
I finally had my appointment last Friday and she was able to diagnose me with Rheumatoid Arthritis. She could see it on my MRI and blood test and after looking at all my problem areas she said they were all swollen. We were afraid I might have Lupus because I have developed a rash on my chest but the test for that came back inconclustive so we don't think they are connected. We said a huge prayer of thanks to God for that!
She said I was in early stages of RA but my levels were double the norm and we had to treat immediately. She said with the treatment I would feel much better and the RA could go into remission. The treatment however is a shot that I have to give myself!!
Paul and I had a long drive that day to his parents cabin so it gave us alot of time to process the information and for me to tell Paul what all the doctor had said (at that time we didn't know the Lupus was a negative) I was in tears because I was so happy to finally have a diagnosis and to know that someone actually understood my pain and was able to give me relief. The not knowing what is wrong with you is miserable. As much as Paul tried to sympothize there was only so much he could do and I know he got tired of hearing me complain about it!
Paul and I went today to get one last test done and to start the medication. The doctor was getting the needle ready and was measuring the medicine in, shaking it, thumping the needle, all kinds of stuff. Paul and I both were watching her and the looks on our faces was pure panic. I asked her if that was the shot I was going to have to give myself and she said no that this was the last test I had to take. Paul and I both let out a huge sigh of relief and just started laughing. There was no way we were going to be able to do that and we both knew it!
She showed me how to work the shot I have to give myself and she gave me my first round today..... in the stomach. It hurt so much!!! I really do not know how I am going to do this!!! Paul is prepared to give it to me himself but isn't looking forward to it, especially after seeing my facial expressions of pain today while she did it. Just thinking about it gives me chills but we both cannot wait for me to feel better. I came home, called my mom (asked her to make me some chocolate chip cookies -milking it for all I can) took a nap then Paul treated me to pizza and ice cream for being a good girl at the doctor :)
Happy May!
11 years ago
1 comments:
Oh honey, this post makes me want to cry. RA runs in my family (and Ryan's) and I hope its not something I have in my future (or if we have kids - they have in their future). I will be praying for you! I cannot imagine the pain you are dealing with. Sending my love!
Post a Comment