Monday, September 15, 2008

Homesick

My poor puppy is Homesick. Officially she hasn't had a "home" for several months but has been shuffled around from place to place. She did spend most of her time at my parents house in Alabama with her two best puppy friends, Maggie and Tux. After bringing her to her new house in Arkansas she is beginning to show signs of homesickness. Our house has a fenced in back yard but Bella can hear the traffic from the nearby street and this scares her. She does not want to go outside and if I carry her out there she just sits in the grass. The only way I get her to walk is by putting her on her leash. Imagine how stupid I look walking my dog by leash in my very own fenced in back yard!! She is eating very little, moping around the house, and just looks so sad. She didn't potty for an entire day. Since she didn't want to go outside to potty she would go inside and the ultimate is she actually went in our bed, yes the bed.

One night while we were getting ready for bed Bella got under the covers, nothing abnormal, I even commented on how cute she was rolling around under the covers. Once the lights were turned out and we both were in bed I hear Paul say "oh no she didn't, she peed in the bed!" We both jumped up pulled off all the covers and sure enough she left her mark. She was punished and had to sleep in the kitchen. I stayed up and washed all the sheets and we both were kept awake due to the little whimpers, barks, and sounds of begging mercy coming from our puppy. When I awoke the next morning I was so proud of myself for not going to get her and sticking to the punishment.

My mom and Maggie came to visit this past weekend. We both were so happy to see them. I haven't seen Bella so excited in a long time, her tail just kept wagging. Since the visit I am happy to report that Bella seems to be adjusting slowly with Maggie's help. She is now walking and going to the bathroom outside. We are still having to help her but I believe she will adjust with time.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Bless her heart!
I didn't know Paul was the one to discover the pee! Ha! That must've been a tiny bit funny. =)

Zach and Kim said...

Your wedding pics are beautiful. It looks like you had a wonderful time. I hope AK is treating you good. Hope your doggy adjusts soon

Ashley Marie said...

The poor thing! I hope she adjusts well. and those pictures were AMZING!

Anonymous said...

Poor Bella! Give her time...she'll get past it. My dogs had to get used to their new territory when we moved to our house. Cesar Millan suggests walking them regularly through the neighborhood so they can get used to their new domain. And the less she senses that you are worried, the better she'll do :)